Friday, February 19, 2010

Apple Juice'd Tofu and Eggplant !! An Chinese Take-Out Inspired Dish

I like to make things that remind me of Chinese take-out.  This usually involves sweet and salty.  Homemade Americanized-Chinese food lends itself to orange-something, but I find that if I use orange juice from-the-carton and cook it I don't necessarily like it.  I am also not keen on using / preparing fresh squeezed. However, I usually have apple juice on hand and I like the way it tastes when cooked.


Recipe:
10 oz marinated and baked tofu
1 large eggplant, diced, salted for 30 minutes, rinsed
1 red pepper chopped
1 onion chopped
3 cloves garlic chopped
1 inch of ginger peeled and minced
1 tsp sesame oil
1 T vegetable oil
1/2 tsp red pepper flakes
2/3 C Apple Juice
1 - 2 T soy sauce
3-4 T chopped cilantro


Saute onions for 5 minutes in vegetable oil. Add eggplant and cook for 5 minutes. Add garlic, ginger and red pepper flakes and cook for one minute. Add the remaining ingredients and cook about 5 more minutes until the apple juice has reduced by about half.  Take off heat and add cilantro. Serve over your favorite whole grain.

No comments: