Friday, December 19, 2008

Salt Risen Bread: Failure

I stumbled upon a recipe for Salt Risen Bread. When I read that smelled like cheese, how could I resist. A bread that is risen by a bacteria, Clostridium perfringens, which is a ubiquitous bacteria that can cause food poisoning. However, I found an academic article that its not going to sick-ify anyone.

1. Starter
2. Sponge
3. Bread

Supposedly, the starter is hardest to get going. It worked for me. I put the starter and and jar of boiling water in a cooler and let is set overnight. Then I made the Sponge which also was working. I got bubbles, clear liquid and a pungent odor. But then after the smell and stick, the bread did not rise and I was sad and have not tried again yet.


I got ideas from these two sites: 1 and 2.

I used a cornmeal & rye flour starter, but ran out of AP flour for the bread and used whole wheat, so maybe this was the problem.


No comments: